Output Volume and Low Signal

Everything Phatty.
APF

Output Volume and Low Signal

Post by APF » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:39 pm

Greetings,

I'm running into a little issue with my SP. I have it hooked up to my MOTU audio interface as I want to do some recording through Logic 9 but the signal i'm getting from the SP into logic is incredibly low. Even having the output level on the SP maxed out and having the gain turning up on my interface still results in -20 to -30 db's consistently. However, when I plug the headphones into the SP and listen, It's loud as hell.... I'm sure i'm doing something wrong...

Any suggestions?!

Thanks!

JWaltman

Re: Output Volume and Low Signal

Post by JWaltman » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:30 pm

I had this once, and it turned out the button to mute the output was turned on.. or output turned off, then the volume dial wont matter. I hope this is the case for you too!

SlimPhatFrank

Post by SlimPhatFrank » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:32 am

I thought, my Slim Phatty's output was too low also and the posts in here seemed to confirm that. But I turned out to be my fault - I took it back to the store I purchased it from and the prooved everything with mine is okay. They just compared it with other Moogs and some digital Synths and mine was even one of the loudest.

Controlling the settings of my interface (Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP) in detail did the trick. After a driver software update, there was a hi-/lo-gain setting switched to lo without ever having even looked at that. Be sure to check your interface settings! I hope this does the trick for you, too and that you won't have to claim warranty.
To make it simple: Thank you, Bob!

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:51 am

Sort of unrelated, but how do you like the Saffire 24? I'm in the market for one of these boxes and not sure which way to go. Are you a Mac or PC; did you find any use for the DSP functionality? Any other bugs or issues to report or are you happy with the unit?

Thanks.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

SlimPhatFrank

Post by SlimPhatFrank » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:07 pm

EMwhite wrote:Sort of unrelated, but how do you like the Saffire 24? I'm in the market for one of these boxes and not sure which way to go. Are you a Mac or PC; did you find any use for the DSP functionality? Any other bugs or issues to report or are you happy with the unit?

Thanks.
Well, to be honest, I don't really know about those DSP capabilities. I use a tube comp before its input and VSTs on my Cubase tracks. The VRM engine I don't use either - but that's just my way of producing because I like to judge room feeling of my (electronic) tracks through fully closed headphones, unaffected from any further room type simulation monitoring. I Just bought it because of it's for that price range good signal to noise ratio for recording. It's output is a little bit noisy though. If that doesn't matter to you I can suggest go for it, unless you got cash to afford buying RME stuff!
I'm working on a mac.
To make it simple: Thank you, Bob!

kuro

Post by kuro » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:58 pm

hi!

i've the same problem with my SP!

I bought it there in two day......and it's new....!!!

a ultra low signal from the main and a apocalyptic signal from the headphones out (like a real moog signal).

i've checked my interface(ua101),the turn up /down signal out......and nothing...

always the same:main>low,headphone>loud.....

is this normal or i have to send back my SP?

Thanks

moogyman

Post by moogyman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:50 am

my volume output knob is acting screwy. I have to turn it almost to the top of the dial before I start getting any volume output. Beyond that all the way to the right, it screams beautifully and sounds perfect. But at the low volume markings, before 12 o'clock on the knob (left side).... there is virtually no output at low volume.

Can I fix this at home with some kind of calibration? Or do I need to send it to the factory?
Moogyman :lol:

Mandatory Cape Law: All keyboardists playing more than 4 keyboards at a gig must wear a cape. Unless one keyboard is a mellotron, then the keyboardist must wear a cape regardless of number.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:39 am

moogyman wrote:my volume output knob is acting screwy. I have to turn it almost to the top of the dial before I start getting any volume output. Beyond that all the way to the right, it screams beautifully and sounds perfect. But at the low volume markings, before 12 o'clock on the knob (left side).... there is virtually no output at low volume.

Can I fix this at home with some kind of calibration? Or do I need to send it to the factory?
This is normal. No output at all with the 1st 1/4 turn. Barely audible at 50%. I usually leave my phatty at about 80% max and adjust it externally.

moogyman

Post by moogyman » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:19 am

Sir Nose wrote:
moogyman wrote:my volume output knob is acting screwy. I have to turn it almost to the top of the dial before I start getting any volume output. Beyond that all the way to the right, it screams beautifully and sounds perfect. But at the low volume markings, before 12 o'clock on the knob (left side).... there is virtually no output at low volume.

This is normal. No output at all with the 1st 1/4 turn. Barely audible at 50%. I usually leave my phatty at about 80% max and adjust it externally.
Well, thank you kind Nose.
Moogyman :lol:

Mandatory Cape Law: All keyboardists playing more than 4 keyboards at a gig must wear a cape. Unless one keyboard is a mellotron, then the keyboardist must wear a cape regardless of number.