CV/Gate Query Re: CP-251 and Pigtronix Mothership?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Demi Jon

CV/Gate Query Re: CP-251 and Pigtronix Mothership?

Post by Demi Jon » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:25 pm

Hi foogs,

I just got a MF-105, had the MF-102 years ago and sold it (bummer). I use a Pigtronix Mothership as well, with a Pigtronix-designed Gate/CV mod. This basically changed the Remote input to either Gate In or Out, and the Sub output to CV out.

I am thinking about getting the CP-251, but only if I can use it (usefully!) with the Pigtronix CV/Gate functions, and potentially in conjunction with the MuRF (and possibly the Low Pass Filter and the Analog Delay, which I am dying to get but am so far from being able to afford right now).

Thing is, I have only the tiniest understanding of how CV/Gate functions work, and have no one in my (very small) music community who works in this field to ask, and limited luck finding plain english descriptions online.

Can anyone give me some advice? Potentially, I guess what I would like to use the CP-251 for is to add a bit of dynamics to the Mothership's somewhat sterile VCO sounds. Would the CP-251 work for that? And can anyone recommend a good beginner's guide to understanding the way that voltage control works? I am mainly a guitar pedal tweaker, creating what I always thought of as a "modular guitar pedal synth" with a guitar (or small simple synth) into a four channel splitter, through four channels of guitar pedals, then back through a four channel mixer with aux in/out and into stereo amps.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Demi Jon
http://www.audiofoundation.org.nz/artist/co-inc
http://www.tensionheadache.org/punctuators/co-inc.html

MarbledMoog

Re: CV/Gate Query Re: CP-251 and Pigtronix Mothership?

Post by MarbledMoog » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:35 pm

CV/Gate is mostly used so that you can slave another synth or control a synth's VCO and other stuff with a sequencer or something. You could use the square LFO on the cp-251 to trigger the VCO to sound, as well as get crazy vibrato and stuff but what you really might want to make the pigtronix more useable is an ADSR, which it sounds like you want to make it more dynamic and not just a regular plain VCO. Also you should get a filter, I don't think the pigtronix has one. You could use the murf but it won't be the exact sound for typical synth playing.

The cp-251 is awesome, I bought it just for the sample & hold fuctions, but its worked wonders with my other Moogers and my ARP Solus. Another LFO, white noise for wind/surf sounds, attenuator, mixer, lag processor, a lot of useful stuff. But I'm not exactly sure what you are aiming to do?
MF-101, MF-102, CP-251

Demi Jon

Post by Demi Jon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:20 am

Thanks MarbledMoog,

So I'd be able to add some vibrato/tremolo effects to the Pigtronix VCO through the Gate In? This is the kind of thing I am looking for. What about sample and hold or noise?

As I said, the whole CV thing is very new to me, but now I have the Mothership with CV out and Gate In or Out, and a LastGast Art Laboratories Cyber Psychic Parametric Oscillo Filter with CV in, and I just don't know what to do with them other than use expression pedals. And is an "audio in" on the Mothership not the same as the CP-251 manual describes as a "pitch control input" for the "VCTG"?

I do have ADSR available through my EHx Micro Synth. No CV on that at all. Because I have built my "synth" over the years out of interconnected guitar pedals, most have no CV capability.

Again, any help is appreciated.

Demi Jon

Post by Demi Jon » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:49 am

Hi moogers --

Just got a copy of Allen Strange's book on Electronic Music -- won't bother you again with these kinda questions til I get through that...