Moog Lap Steel

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
MarbledMoog

Re: Moog Lap Steel

Post by MarbledMoog » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:23 am

I'd also think that such a beast would cost upwards of $2400 or more
Voltor, I myself can't see it being more than $1,500. There isn't much to a lap steel, and they've got the tech down. The lap steel has far less critical parts to it than a regular guitar. It doesn't matter if it has a straight neck, the wood still matters to some extent. I think this is an even more budget way for Moog to get their tech into players' hands. Lucky for me, I'm a slide player and will be able to do the things I would have done with the Moog guitar, on this guitar instead.
MF-101, MF-102, CP-251

moogyman

Post by moogyman » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:25 pm

1500 USD - I'd buy it in a second flat
Moogyman :lol:

Mandatory Cape Law: All keyboardists playing more than 4 keyboards at a gig must wear a cape. Unless one keyboard is a mellotron, then the keyboardist must wear a cape regardless of number.

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:58 pm

1500$, me too... would buy it flat.

unfortunately we're talking about Moog here... I don't see it ever being that cheap.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

MarbledMoog

Post by MarbledMoog » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:41 pm

there really is nothing to a Lap Steel though, it would be kind of ridiculous if it was much more than that.
MF-101, MF-102, CP-251

John B

Post by John B » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:06 am

It looks and sounds pretty cool. Pricey, yes; revolutionary for steel, yes. Non-Moog lap steels can go for pretty high prices (see Asher, $2400-$2950 list, for example). As a lap steel player (primarily acoustic), I'd love to try one out.

Any plans for an 8 string?

mikemilton

Post by mikemilton » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:10 pm

Ok - Well, I just ordered the MLS. The person helping me with this was having a bit of a challenge learning if it could be tuned to GBDGBD. I gather it is delivered in DGDGBD and it was suggested that tuning it up from there was a risk to the piezo pickup.

Anyway, I'm guessing that someone in this discussion can answer with certainty, hehehe

As an aside, I play Dobro and Eigenharp Alpha mostly and am really looking forward to adding this intriguing instrument.

m
Cheers, Mike
Moog Lap Steel, Clarivox Centenial, Voyage Electric Blue, Varions Foogers
Eigenharp Alpha, WX7/5, Clavinova
Guitars: Harmos, Mohan Veena, National Hollowneck

MarbledMoog

Post by MarbledMoog » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:29 am

oh jeez its $3,000 :roll:

and see if there are some lighter gauge strings offered by moog, then the tension won't damage the peizo
MF-101, MF-102, CP-251

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:15 am

MarbledMoog wrote:oh jeez its $3,000 :roll:
10 Moog Financial Units seems like a bargain to me... :?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

moogyman

Post by moogyman » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:23 am

something I thought of regarding moog lap steel

it makes total sense

a non fixed pitch portamento instrument

like the theremin

a totally natural choice for moog music, building on the legacy of the moog guitar and the moog theremin

a lap steel

wow

Mandatory Cape Law: All keyboardists playing more than 4 keyboards at a gig must wear a cape. Unless one keyboard is a mellotron, then the keyboardist must wear a cape regardless of number.

DAV-id

Post by DAV-id » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:53 pm

You gotta love Moog for this , im not surprised they've done one especially after the Moog guitar was released , You know its gonna be great and when i told a lap steel playing friend of mine about this he thought it was a great idea too... He is bang up for getting one but he is a little accident prone so if he did get one it probably wouldnt leave the house.. lol :-)

Krinor

Post by Krinor » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:58 am

A Moog lap steel... Wow! For a moment there I was very happy. But $3.000 for a lap steel is for the select few only. Too bad.
I'd love to see a "budget" version though, with only one pickup (who needs two on a lap steel ?) and a more modest design (more like a little log). At $1.500 it would probably sell.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:34 am

Krinor wrote:A Moog lap steel... Wow! For a moment there I was very happy. But $3.000 for a lap steel is for the select few only. Too bad.
I'd love to see a "budget" version though, with only one pickup (who needs two on a lap steel ?) and a more modest design (more like a little log). At $1.500 it would probably sell.
Not sure if the Vo Power could operate with only one pickup...also, keep in mind that Moog only prices things for the select few...I mean, in this day and age, how many people will spend $3000 on a monophonic synthesizer? :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

moogyman

Post by moogyman » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:01 am

Voltor07 wrote:
Krinor wrote:A Moog lap steel... Wow! For a moment there I was very happy. But $3.000 for a lap steel is for the select few only. Too bad.
Not sure if the Vo Power could operate with only one pickup...also, keep in mind that Moog only prices things for the select few...I mean, in this day and age, how many people will spend $3000 on a monophonic synthesizer? :wink:
I'm sick of pricing for the select few. My prediction - they're gonna introduce more entirely digital products.

Krinor

Post by Krinor » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:28 pm

moogyman wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:
I'm sick of pricing for the select few. My prediction - they're gonna introduce more entirely digital products.
Probably yes... Unfortunately. Maybe Moog wish to get back into the telephone industry again ? Maybe what we'll actually see is the all new iMoog ?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:17 am

Krinor wrote:
moogyman wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:
Probably yes... Unfortunately. Maybe Moog wish to get back into the telephone industry again ? Maybe what we'll actually see is the all new iMoog ?
Trust me...you don't want that... :shock: